Choosing a Fabricator
What should you look for when selecting a HI-MACS countertop fabricator? This is probably the most common email we receive. Here are a few suggestions:
- Have you seen their finished product in person? Ask to see a finished HI-MACS countertop in person.
- Inspect the finish. Is it evenly sanded and free of scratches or blemishes?
- Feel the finish. Is it smooth and consistent and free of voids or chips?
- Look at the edges? Are their any visible seams or joints?
- Feel the edges. Are they smooth and free of any bumps or undulations?
- Look at the sink where it attaches to the countertop. If it is an integral sink, is the seam line inconspicuous? On undermount sinks, are they cleanly caulked in?
- If you have a cooktop, ensure they use corner blocks and install a heat sheild? Ask them to show you what this is and how they do it.
- If your countertop will have a field seam, ask them if they strap their seams? Ask them to show you what it is and how they do it.
- Ask the fabricator what fabrication processes they use that set their finished product apart from their competition.
- If you start asking these questions you will quickly begin to see what a great finished product is and what and average product is.
- Is the fabricator quick to return your calls?
- Are they polite and able to schedule a time to meet with you to answer your questions?
- How long will it take to finish your install from the time of the template?
- Do they seem to have your best interests at heart?
- Good service means different things to different people - what does it mean to you?
- Can the fabricator provide you with references you can call?
- Do they have any customer's who might be willing to show you their finished HI-MACS countertop?
- Have they done any commercial projects you could look at? Keep in mind though commercial projects receive significantly more wear than residential applications.
- Do they answer all your questions?
- Are they consistent with their answers?
- Are they knowledgeable about the product?
- Are they giving you honest answers or are they telling you want you want to hear to sell you? All materials have positives and negatives.
- Is one price significantly higher than other quotes? Ask them how they figured their quote?
- Is one price significantly lower than the others? Ask them how they figured their quote?
- When it comes to HI-MACS all the pricing should be fairly consistent. If you start to see large price fluctuations, ask questions - ensure you are comparing apples to apples.